The good news is- this is a fairly simple thing to do! We require three things.
Building muscle requires three things.
#1 Resistance Training
The first thing you need to do is perform the best exercises for rebuilding muscle.
* The Push (which trains the muscles in the front of your upper body and the triceps)
* The Pull (which trains the muscles in the back of the upper body and the biceps)
* The Knee Flexion (Any type of squat or lunge that’s trains the front and inner thighs)
* The Hip Extension (Any type of glute exercise which trains the back of the thigh and the buttocks)
And a few more....
I go over these with examples in this instagram post. Do have a look
You need to do exercises that challenge you in the 8-15 repetition range and slowly progress them over time.
This means that you should strive to do a little bit more than you did before. This can be done with:
- More reps
- More sets
- Adding a little weight
- Doing a more challenging variation
Only do one of these at a time to give yourself multiple ways to progress your exercises.
*However, before doing these exercises it is important that you check to see if you have diastasis recti. If so, it is important to strengthen these muscles as well as the pelvic floor before doing any type of regular resistance training.
The second thing you need to do is:
#2 Consume protein-rich foods:
Protein is the most important macronutrient to build and maintain muscle tissue.
I recommend that you consume at least 2 things that are high in protein every single day.
The best high protein foods are:
• Animal products such as lean meats and fish, and Greek yogurt
• Soy products (tofu, tempeh, edamame)
• Beans and legumes (chickpeas, lentils, split peas, kidney beans)
• Protein powder supplements (whey, pea, brown rice)
Without protein, your results will be suboptimal at best!
The last thing you need is…
The final thing that you need to do to rebuild strength and muscle is patience.
It is important that you understand that this is not a quick fix.
Anything worth having takes times. It’s kind of like the time it takes to develop your baby in utero.
Don’t give up if you don’t see results right away. I promise- it will be so worth it!